However much I enjoyed the
sights, I was starting to wonder when being in Kenya was not going to be about
driving in private taxis for endless journeys. The next morning, I was awakened
with that same familiar cry from my phone and a text from John who was early. I
threw on clothes and filled my mouth with bottled water as I brushed my teeth
and raced out the door. Somehow, though our drive was barely more than ten
minutes this time, he managed to a) counsel me on love, notifying me that I was
too pretty to not be married, b) recant and tell me to wait for the right
moment and person because Love is not
something you know what it is, a feeling, an emotion that is right, and c)
promise me to set me up with maybe his son (who I thought was married with a
kid) or possibly one of his taxi drivers (who might be as old as my father)—all
things he guaranteed would make sense in due time. This took longer than the
allotted 30 second drop off window inside the car park of the shopping center
so the guard instructed John to drive back around or leave. We circled once
more and he deposited me in front of a coffee house where I was meeting up with
Whitney, a friend from college.
Together with one of her new
summer roommates, we later marched from her apartment armed with exact change
(10 shilling coins) and stood at the bus stand to wait for the jam-packed matatus to pack. On my first day, John
had joked (or was he serious? No idea, even in English some things are lost in
translation), saying the matatus were
named after matata (Lion King
anyone?) because they caused so much trouble on the road. I patted myself down
again—I was bagless—making sure I had nothing easy to steal. Whitney had
reminded us all of the cardinal traveling rule for ladies anywhere- big up top,
little down below. As in, taking full advantage
of our God-given pockets up north, and risking smaller bills in pants pockets
for easy payment on the street or quick handing over in time of a struggle.
Maybe some of the bigger bills came out warm when it was time to hand them over,
but hey, at least you still had them and no one is going to refuse cash.
We climbed in the first available
van that sounded like it was going our direction and rode what turned out to be
an embarrassing four blocks to the rugby stadium. We picked our way through the
throngs of young guys waiting to enter and gleefully grabbed our ticket stubs
as we entered the field. Less than two hours later, we were shouting, clapping,
booing with the crowd and brandishing over-sized cans of Tusker beer like it
was our job. A young woman with gorgeous locs sat down next to me and we
started to chat. I mentioned how few women I noticed with natural curly hair or
locs around (most having opted for chemically relaxed, pressed, and braided
styles). She explained that there was a growing number but for too long, locs
had been associated with deviant behavior, criminal activity, and to some
degree Rastafarianism so many Kenyans had strayed from risking their jobs for
having them. It sounded pretty familiar.
After we had our fill of cracking
skulls and thumping bodies on the green, as well as heckled mzungu girls trying to find seats in the
tides of the crowd, we made our way out just as the caravans of rowdy fans
arrived, blowing noisemakers and chanting as the game continued into the final
match of the season. After a few hours’ to chillax in Whitney’s apartment, we
hopped another matatu to meet Jess, a
mutual college friend for dinner and drinks. After dinner, we paid a guard a
few hundred shillings to walk us the block and a half to the bar, a familiar
custom at night.
As we sat around the bar with our White Caps (another favorite
local brew), Whitney and I marveling at the near-perfect weather that Nairobi
seemed to be blessed with—something like 60-70 and always mild—we couldn’t help
but shake our heads at what sounded like James Bond intro music replaying on
loop for the better part of an hour. Laughing, I ventured to the washroom (or
loo, after the British) to find no water to wash with or flush for that matter,
a fact Jess waved away as usual given the sheer number of frequent water and
power cuts in the city. Much like DC, Nairobi had become a burgeoning
metropolis far faster than city planners imagined (or to some degree, cared to
address.) Kenya Power was about as synonymous with mustachioed villain as
Pepco.
After we downed the last of our
White Caps, we hopped yet another taxi to a party with some of Jess’s local
friends, mostly expats, working around the city. I used the talk first, answer
puzzled questions later tactic to mingle with the group of forty or so, a few
people initially taken aback by my impeccable English. (Really? Really now?
Ah.) Around midnight, pretty much everyone dialed the same two go-to taxi guys
(apparently this was a ‘thing’ I was learning; everyone had their go-to taxi
guys), so about an hour and a half later our crew finally piled into a car to
head home. Last to arrive back, I spent some time haggling with the driver—no, it’s supposed to only be this much; Jess
told me already!—and slowly dragged myself into bed. It was 2:30am, 7:30pm on
the East Coast and suddenly I was hungry for dinner.
Haha! Hilarious. Probably not as funny if it's happening to YOU, but fun for all the viewers back home. Thanks, Lauren! I gotta get me a White Cap someday.
ReplyDelete