My eyelids were doing that
sweating thing again. A peculiar trait I thought they had only adopted in the
throes of Thailand’s blazing heat in Bangkok. Nope. I stood corrected, very
much corrected. It was sort of scorching in Dar. Not that painful heat that
makes you want to peel off your skin and jump into a cool bath, but rather a
sticky, sweaty, damp sort of heat that comes only from being on the semi-blistering
shores of the Indian Ocean where mbu (mosquito)
run (or rather fly) amok. And it was beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous.
Crystal blue waters lapped at the
sand all around the curve of the land as we drove past, jacaranda and coconut
(I think?) trees bowing in greeting as we passed. Everyone glistened as much
with the dew of fresh sweat as the beaming smiles, probably of being in such a
fantastically stunning place. Tanzania’s seeming capital (which is actually
Dodoma), the seaside city Dar es Salaam felt like one big sprawling beach
resort. Which meant that our hotel was like a small slice of paradise on the
sand with a huge open air market of shops built right into the center of it
all. If that wasn’t enough, sipping wine on the beach and chowing down on
delicious curries and samaki (fish),
even as we combed through Excel sheets and poured over contracts and MOUs at
the table, for a moment I forgot it was all for work.
My manager quickly brought me
back to reality as we dove into site visits and preliminary meetings with our
distributors. D.light has an extensive network in Kenya and elsewhere
throughout Africa and around the world even, looking to expand further into
Tanzania. This project was meant to be a jumpstart to deeper Tanzanian
networks, particularly in rural communities in Manyara district. (For more
details on my summer’s work, view this post on the Georgetown University
website.) Already, I too was eager to dive in to see more of the country and what
this project would bring for our team and the communities we were reaching out
to. But there was time for that. Right now it was the time for fish and wine
and waves and sunsets and I was loving every minute of it.
Compared with cosmopolitan
Nairobi, hustling, bustling and full of life, Dar was laid back, comfortable
without being boring, content without being complacent. It was a welcomed lull
from grittier streets, faster cars, and bigger buildings, though I found myself
missing some of the excitement already. A city girl through and through ;) One thing that struck me
immediately was the preponderance of magnificent mosque compounds, gated areas
with devotees milling in and out at all hours. They somehow looked even more
beautiful than the ones I had seen elsewhere, cut out against the backdrop of
the sea. I had heard that Tanzania was filled with large Muslim
communities (many of them Indian Tanzanian (which explained the fantastic curries!) as well as Black Tanzanian as was
the case in Kenya as well.)
Muslims and Christians have co-existed peacefully
alongside the hundred plus ethnic groups that make up the Tanzanian population
for quite some time, thanks in part to the foresight of the country’s first
president Julius Nyerere who had pushed for a common language (Swahili) and the
concept of ujamaa, a socialist
ideology of a Tanzania for all Tanzanians. As a sign of this in 1985, a Catholic, Nyerere passed along the torch of his presidency to Hassan Mwinyi, a Muslim successor.
The fruits of his labors and a countrywide mentality of pole pole (slowly) that reminded me of the Thai sabai sabai (literally well, well) leveled most tensions; both countries were pervaded by a generally chipper disposition and
remarkable ability to just take it easy
even when that might mean not getting much done as I would come to understand
all too soon!
Hullo, Dar dear.
No comments:
Post a Comment