Thursday, November 5, 2009

Twisted


Today's Thoughts...

Well, it’s November and I’m asking myself when the heck I let that happen. Chiang Mai is cold (was that possible?!) and of course by cold, I mean 60 Farenheit which after five months of skin boiling heat waves, leaves me shivering on my bike as my skirt flies up time and again sending goosebumps up my thighs. Ah well. So funny story. I decided it’d be cool to try changing up my hair a bit. I was getting a wee bit tired of rockin the fro so I did up a bunch of twists all over the place one night and rolled out without a thought. Well by the utter commotion caused in the coffee break room/kitchen at work, you would have thought I’d gone out and shaved my skull. Me, five teachers, and ten hands in my hair pulling, tugging, trying to unravel the tight spirals, and murmuring in approval when they sprang back into place. Everyone was utterly transfixed by my deadlocks. Yes, deadlocks. So after two or three teachers remarked on how cute they were, who did it for me, WHAT you did them yourself, can I have some, oh of course now how silly my hair could never do it, WHAT it can! (you get the picture), I was contemplating three things. Do I tell them they word they were searching for was dreadlocks, not deadlocks? Do I try to insert some knowledge about how they’re now called locs, not dreadlocks because it sounds awful? Do I try to convince them that I in fact do not have deadlocks or dreadlocks or locs, but twists? Well, I settled on the latter as that took more time, thought energy, and vocabulary than I thought I’d ever had for the plush and woolly coils on my head. Suffice it to say, the change was something of a curious hit. I can’t wait to see what’ll happen when I show up Monday with…cornrows? Good god!
More on the updates of October vaca in Penang and Indo and the recent ridiculousness of the Loi Krathong Festival coming ASAP ;)

2 comments:

  1. It's pretty CooL Aj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Aww, thank you Nan. I didn't think anyone would notice my hair. You're BLOG is pretty cool. Way to go ;)

    ReplyDelete