Monday, November 23, 2009

Breakin all tha rulez


Today's Thoughts...

When I started to ride my bike, I made myself promise not to break five very simple, very cardinal rules. Everybody else did it, said I, but not me. Oh no. Fearful farang that I am, there’s no way I’d ever…

Rules of the Road:

1) I hereby promise to never squeeze through traffic with approximately 4 to 6 inches between myself and the two pick-ups on either side of me. (Okay, but sometimes, you really don’t have time to wait in line at that traffic light.)

2) I hereby promise to never rideth o motorcy upon the footpath of man (aka the sidewalk). (Again, no time, really just no time.)

3) I hereby promise to never run a red light be it as it may that red lights (not at intersections!) are in fact optional in this city. (If no one else is waiting…I mean you just look dumb.)

4) I hereby promise to never ride upon the highway in reverse. (But really? Are you going to go all the way down to the next U-turn because you missed your turn-off by 10 feet? No, I didn’t think so.)

5) I hereby promise to never be struck by a moving vehicle that nudges me across two lanes and looks at me like I’m the one who caused him grief in his shiny silver Civic while he undoubtedly curses my name to the girl on the other end of his mobile phone. (Seriously. C’mon. I’m on two wheels. You hit ME.)

I hereby promise not to make any more promises. Last time I checked, I was still in Asia. Here, I’m playin by their rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment