Today's Thoughts...
Most of our Friday nights seem to be and seem that they will continue to be low-key, chill events, given the hectic pace of the week and utter lack of sleeping time Monday through Thursday. This Friday, however proved to be quite different. Having met Jessica, a friend from a yoga studio Elena and Becca scoped out, we suddenly found ourselves in the middle of several varying groups of people and friends the whole night through. We started the night primping, standard fare for any night out in Thailand. Becca and I agree, we came here expecting to need to cover up, keep our shoulders hidden, and our knees kindly tucked from sight, loosening up only a little once classes let out for the day/week. Yet, looking at the transformations (yes, no other word properly describes the morphing ritual of young Thai ladies at night) of our native fellows, we quickly learned that our idea of dressing up for a night on the town was scarcely equivalent to the scandalous nightly parades we witnessed. Mind you, most girls are very thin so it is not at all impossible to get away with short skirts or low cut tops as long legs and small chests leave much room to do so. Hmmm…not so much for most American girls unfortunately, though there are many of those who will try. So, the average Thai girl dresses modestly during the day for the most part—short sleeved blouse (shoulders concealed), skirt or possibly jeans (not too revealing), and outrageously high and colored heels (standard fare any time of the day). At night, sleeves are torn away from blouses, necklines plunge far below sea level, hair grows magical inches, and skirts hike up so high you wonder where the shirt ends and the skirt begins. Heels, already bright and tottering, shoot up and come decked out with fancy, often shiny, garb. Really, it’s a sight to behold. It’s almost impossible to recognize people. It sure beats traipsing down to the Street in jeans and a ratty T-shirt any day (or Tower attire: whatever you wore to class that day with an awkward grin and beer cup).
So we “dress up” by our American standards (a little make-up, some nicer shoes, a more flattering hairstyle) and take to the streets. We start off at a rooftop bar. Very swank, very posh, extremely chic. About eight or nine floors up, we can see all of this side of the city from the bar top and it is gorgeous. After meeting up with several friends from CMU (Chiang Mai University) (fellow foreign teachers of English), we down some expensive cocktails (by which I mean less than $3) and take off once more. But not before swaying, bopping, and generally expressing great interest in our own personal live band playing hits from James Brown’s “I feel good” to Latin ballads and classics like “I will survive.” Considering that we were virtually the only customers in the bar, we got their full and undivided attention and crooning tunes. Despite being in a near empty bar/restaurant, in adequate Thai time, it still somehow managed to take almost 30 minutes for much of our order to arrive. I swear, I think they go out, hunt down whatever fowl or beast you’re planning to consume, kill it, shorn it, and proceed to cook it while you wait. In the case of our cocktails, who knows? I think the lime tree had to finish growing out back But came they did and great they were! Off to the streets!
Next stop—house party! Jessica introduced us to two friends she met, also through yoga (sensing something I need to latch onto here…) and we crashed their glorious little shindig complete with lots of peoples, many Brits and Americans, two (yes two!) Black-esque-probably girls, adorable puppies, and all the mixed drinks we can handle. After some raspberry Smirnoff (so so tasty!) and strangely smelling Thai rum in a flask (mixed with ample bits of Coke and soda water which is a huge sensation here and adds loads of great bubbles to everything), I was set. Mmmm. Then of course, I made a beeline for the restroom and an unidentifiably wet floor. Ahh, alas, a commode is a commode after all Outside the restroom, we met Corey, who decided to plop down and live in Chiang Mai as of February. After a long chat, we dashed off again to head to Warm-Up bar. To get there, we couldn’t find any songtaews to carry us so we opted to plod our way down the short stretch of highway until we got there. Note to self: fast trucks on highways at night. Walk slow and faaaaaar to the side.
We arrived at Warm-Up and instantly I had to go to the restroom, but not before running into a very chatty and very intoxicated student of mine. Cue awkward turtle dance. Or rather awkward hug, kiss on cheek, and five minute conversation in which she reminded me six times that she had been drinking and was “very, very drunk”, but hello teacher Lauren, and has Becca met me before because I teach her class at school? Never mind that I had introduced her to Becca myself a second before. After that somewhat awkward and adorable interaction, we met another of Jessica’s friends and her friends, found another restroom, and headed out once more as the bar closed for the night. Rather than dash off down town for the next club/bar scene, Elena and Jason and I opted to make out way back home, but not before a quick stop at our favorite ubiquitous convenience store, 7-11. Hungry and craving anything but noodles, we settled for sketchy heated chicken and cheese patty sandwich (75 cents), sketchy chicken and black pepper patty sandwich (75 cents), and sketchy bologna, mayo, and tuna sandwich (34 cents), respectively. Now whatever made me think it’d be a good idea to down an unrefrigerated bologna, tuna, and sweet mayo sandwich is beyond me. When I wake up, assuming I remember everything divulged herein (considering my sheer exhaustion and waning traces of a liquidated and lovely night), I am sure I will regret that foolish choice. Enough for now. Many good nights to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment